It’s six weeks until I hit the big 25. That’s a quarter of a century. A big milestone. But instead of celebrating in the way we do for 18th’s (Yes Mr. Bouncer, I DO have ID!) and 21st’s (why do we even celebrate this one again?) your 25th will be celebrated in either misery, or denial that you’ve graduated from the 18-24 tick box in surveys, finding yourself in the new bracket of 25-32’s. What’s that? Oh, the sound of your wrinkles deepening in your face.
- Why have I not landed my dream job?
- Why do I still only have enough in my account to buy baked beans for dinner?
- Do I go and explore the world or climb that corporate ladder?
- Why are the men I talk to more likely to send a photo of their genitals than send flowers?
- Why is my mum so mad I slipped some Absolut Vodka in the trolley when I went to visit?
- Will my future husband really be someone I met on Tinder?
- Am I too old for liking Little Mix? Asking for a friend…
- How much wine is too much wine?
- Is there such thing as too much wine?
- Why is the cat praised for being fat and hairy but I’m not?
Against the backlash of the whole mindfulness and positive thinking movement, I’m still happy to admit that keeping a general positive mental attitude is key to keeping your head above water. Maybe you’re a really good cook or the friend everyone turns to when they’re having a crisis (check you out, reliable!) Maybe you don’t get hangovers. Whatever your talent, as tiny or large as it is, focus on it and feel good about it.